CANARY® is a tested and proven method of pathogen threat detection, providing users with an unprecedented level of speed and sensitivity in both commercial and defence applications. Originally developed by MIT, CANARY technology allows the detection of a wide range of pathogens including bacteria, viruses and toxins.
CANARY breaks though the limitations of current laboratory-based biological testing methods allowing detection capabilities to be conducted on-site or at the place of operation. It combines the sensitivity of PCR with the speed of Lateral Flow, allowing users to accurately test for tiny amounts of pathogen in minutes. The method requires very few materials, time, and minimal scientific expertise.
CANARY uses a genetically engineered immune cell called a “biosensor” to identify and bind to a specific target. When a pathogen is found, a reaction starts causing the biosensor to luminesce. By measuring light output from the cell, we can tell if the target biological is present in the sample.
How does our CANARY® technology detect COVID-19 in the air? Read our white paper to find out.
CANARY in the field
CANARY is currently deployed for applications in Biodefense, Food Safety, Agriculture and Emerging disease. Here’s how CANARY can help you:
BIODEFENCE / MAIL SCREENING
EARLY WARNING · HEALTHY EMPLOYEES
- First line of defence against biological threat.
- Screening mail & buildings for pathogens keeps your employees safe.
- Detectable pathogens include: Ricin and Anthrax
SAVE MONEY · HEALTHY CUSTOMERS · AVOID RECALLS
- Avoid costly recall that can damage your reputation.
- Make sure you’re not getting pathogens from a supplier.
- Better monitor your plant hygiene and sanitation.
- Detectable pathogens include: Listeria
MINIMISE CROP LOSS · SAVE MONEY
- Know if your plants are sick before they start to show symptoms.
- Control imports and exports.
- Reduce pesticides / fungicide use by knowing when to spray.
EASE OF USE
No complicated extractions or scientific expertise needed. Once your sample is prepared, tests results can be generated in 3-5 minutes, giving you the timely results you need.
Imagine the biosensor as a cell covered in light bulbs with a switch. With other technologies, when a single pathogen is present the switch turns on one light bulb. With CANARY, the switch turns on all the light bulbs. This amplification of signal makes CANARY incredibly sensitive.
If a pathogen is present, it only takes seconds for the Biosensor to bind and luminesce, giving you results in under 5 minutes.